As I type this, Hal and Tim are muttering arcane strings of code sigils. Ostensibly, this constitutes some form of back-and-forth communication between the two of them. The frequency of these little gobbledygook salvos has been rising steadily for the past two hours or so. A good chunk of it is over my head, but I have pieced together the following through context clues:
- This website is almost done. Indeed, it is very possible that we could go live before C.O.B. today.
- Doing so will require that several annoying bugs in the category Tim refers to as “survivors” be squashed with extreme prejudice.
- Going live before C.O.B. today would be desirable in the extreme.
- Having some actual content on the blog when we go live (for our “readers”) wouldn’t get kicked out of bed either.
So our two alpha coders put their heads down and started speaking in tongues. As a result, I have been charged with producing our very first message to the world at large. I’ve decided to talk about the big picture of what this year is about for us.
Put simply, this year is about starting up. It’s about paying what it costs to spin up a studio, a technology core, and a decent understanding of what 3 guys making an entire game in a reasonable amount of time really looks like. Most importantly, it’s about setting up a webcam. Because you gotta have a webcam.
We’re 2.5 months in now, and things are going pretty well! In keeping with our goal of contributing to the Dialogue At Large, we’ll be expanding on the how and the why of our emergence from the primordial bog in subsequent posts. For now, suffice to say that we have the studio, the technology that will underpin our games is well underway, and we’ve been evolving our development processes steadily over the course of these initial efforts. We also (improbably) have a webcam. On a webSITE! Not using capital letters and italics to convey our excitement is becoming increasingly difficult.
Which brings us to today. With the website done, there’s not much left to do around here except our JOBS. To wit:
- We will make fun, handcrafted games that explore the themes and mechanics which have always resonated with us.
- We will sell those games to you. For cashy money!
- We will use that money to repeat this process.
- We will drive the minions of evil to the world’s jagged edge, and pitch them into the chasm so that the bell of peace can ring in our land once more.
Alright. Back to it. Join us! Explore! Check back often! There will be new stuff!